Is The Frenzy For The Chicken Sandwich Really All That?

Cole Saladino/Thrillist

Senior Chloe Werner remarked that although it was the only chicken sandwich she had tried, “the Popeye’s one was fire.”

Recently, there has been a trend that many fast food restaurants have indulged in — the chicken sandwich.

It started with KFC, Popeye’s, and Chick-fil-A, and it has now grown to include almost every restaurant that serves fast food: McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Burger King, and even a new and improved Popeye’s chicken sandwich have now arrived.

To find out if the chicken sandwich is really all that, a form was sent out to a few classes, created to find out which sandwich is the best and whether restaurants should serve some form of a chicken sandwich.

From the polls that were received, a majority of those who responded were supporters of Chick-fil-A.

In the words of Mr. Battaglia, the engineering teacher and enthusiastic supporter of Chick-fil-A, “It’s the OG. They do it right every single time.”

Freshman Luke Hunter agreed, saying, “It’s just built different.”

From the crispy texture to it’s “unexplainable, perfect taste” as described by senior Aidan Birkenfield, the Chick-fil-A sandwich seems to have the others beat.

However, there are others that prefer their chicken sandwich elsewhere.

English teacher Ms. Mazzocco was a fan of the McDonald’s sandwich. “I love the McChicken sandwiches … simple and delicious.” She also added that the mayonnaise was a great touch. Mr. Parker, another English teacher, agreed that the condiments added to his favorite—the KFC sandwich.

Henry O’Boyle, a freshman, felt that the best chicken sandwich was not from a chain restaurant, but from the East Liberty restaurant Bird On The Run, noting that it was the “spiciest and the veggies and buns are fresher than chain sandwiches.” 

The consensus from these Allderdice students seems to be that the Chick-fil-A sandwich is the best. However, on the Internet the Popeye’s chicken sandwich, whether spicy or not, has the attention of many online food bloggers, critics and fans. Many lists had the Popeye’s chicken sandwich at number one. Whether it was for the impeccable texture (both crispy and tender), the low price, the crunchy, tangy pickles, or the brioche buns, this sandwich has been recognized time and time again.

The consensus from these Allderdice students seems to be that the Chick-fil-A sandwich is the best. However, on the Internet the Popeye’s chicken sandwich, whether spicy or not, has the attention of many online food bloggers, critics and fans. (Elise Wrabetz / NBC News; Chick-Fil-A; Popeyes)

Another question still persists: should all of these restaurants partake in this chicken sandwich competition?

Some people felt strongly that it does not make sense for all restaurants to have a chicken sandwich. A lot of the responses argued that “if it doesn’t fit their theme, then they shouldn’t have to.” 

Freshman Elizabeth Cappell echoed this opinion saying, “You wouldn’t want every restaurant to be held back by the rule that every one of them would have no freedom of their own menu.”

Daynell Griffin, a senior, who felt the same way, said, “If you’re a burger place, why make chicken sandwiches?”

“People need to make new things, chicken sandwiches are getting old,” said ninth grader Kyrique Mitchell.

However, Caden Lott, also a ninth grader, argued that the chicken sandwich should stay, saying “it’s easy to make and most restaurants probably already have the ingredients.” 

Geometry teacher Mr. Anthony said, “I’m a fan of chicken sandwiches and think they should be an option.” 

Freshman Claire Rybski remarked,“if it’s just a fast food restaurant, then yes because chicken sandwiches are amazing.”