• Allderdice hoist the Pittsburgh City Championship trophy for the 2023/24 boys basketball season. (Pittsburgh Union Progress)

Sports

Ranking the Last 10 Years of Allderdice Boys Basketball

• Attending a Student Voice Meeting

At Allderdice

Attending a Student Voice Meeting

• Backword 2024

Flippin’ Dice

• Teachers Vote In 2024 Presidential Election

Backword 2024

Teachers Vote In 2024 Presidential Election

• Backword 2024

Allderdice Teachers Bring Back Meadows

• District Rebudgets Yondr Pouch Money

Backword 2024

District Rebudgets Yondr Pouch Money

• Ship Page For Teachers

Backword 2024

Ship Page For Teachers

• The Real Senior Superlatives

Backword 2024

The Real Senior Superlatives

• Backword 2024

Little Misses of Allderdice

• Huge Influx of Hospitalizations after Mass Food Poisoning Caused by Dice Cafeteria Meal

Backword 2024

Huge Influx of Hospitalizations after Mass Food Poisoning Caused by Dice Cafeteria Meal

The Student News Site of Allderdice High School

The Foreword

Allderdice Updates

The Foreword

The Foreword

Boys Soccer: Mid-Season Report

Boys Soccer: Mid-Season Report
Christian Ricketts

The Allderdice boy’s soccer team is in the second half of the fall season and so far, it has proved challenging. Currently, the varsity team has a record of 2-7 losses and the junior varsity team has a record of 2-4-3. JV has 6 games ahead of them and varsity has 7, including senior night. Both of the teams will be playing their second round of games against schools that they have already played against earlier this season. 

This season has had a huge focus on the development of the team. This past summer, after having been the head coach for Allderdice Boys Soccer for over a decade, Sam Bellin stepped down and David Thyberg rose into the head coach position and as lead of the program. Additionally, many of the players who were starters on varsity last year graduated, so new players have arrived this year and taken on many lead roles, with two freshmen starting on varsity. 

“We have a lot of very talented players. Many of them are younger and are developing as players, learning new things and trying to cope with the physicality of a Quad-A WPIAL soccer which is one of the best leagues in the state,” says Coach David Thyberg. 

A lot of the games have been close, even against difficult teams. At the start of the season, the team played hard against Peters Township and Upper St. Clair. 

Christian Ricketts

Even with the losses, the team has been resilient. “Allderdice soccer has a strong tradition. We compete in every game. Some years we are playoff teams. Other seasons we are just in the mix,” Coach Thyberg explains. He reflects, “The team unity has been great. Guys have had a lot of fun going into games not knowing whether we are going to win or lose. There is a sense of comradery, having a bit of a brotherhood. The players always support each other on the field.”  

Together, there have been successes. The team won their first game against Baldwin 4-1. In their last game against Hempfield, the team won 5-0. 

The Dragons will be playing next at Cupples Stadium on Tuesday, October 3rd against Baldwin. Both the boys and girls varsity teams will have senior night on Tuesday, October 17th at Cupples against Brashear. Make sure to show up and support!